This week’s episode of The 1 Girl Revolution Podcast features Susan Burton, founder of A New Way of Life Reentry Project. A New Way of Life Reentry Project provides housing, case management, pro bono legal services, advocacy and leadership development for women (and their children) rebuilding their lives after prison. Susan was incarcerated six times herself, so she knows the struggles and tribulations that women (and their families) face coming out of incarceration. Women are the fastest growing population in jail and prison, and 80% of incarcerated women have children. Currently 2.7 million children in the U.S have a parent who is incarcerated and statistics show that children of incarcerated parents are 7 times more likely to enter the criminal justice system.
A New Way of Life is working to lower the recidivism rate, to support women so they and their children can break the cycle of incarceration, and they’re working to rebuild a new way of life and move forward beyond incarceration.
In this episode, you’ll hear:
- Susan’s powerful personal life story;
- What Susan experienced while incarcerated and what she experienced when she got out;
- Susan’s story of how she founded A New Way of Life Reentry Project and you’ll hear all about the incredible work that they do;
- Stories of the women and children that A New Way of Life has worked with through the years;
- About Susan’s book “Becoming Ms. Burton” and about the “Justice on Trial” Film Festival;
- And so much more.
The 1 Girl Revolution Podcast is available on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Stitcher, YouTube, iHeartRadio, and everywhere you listen to podcasts.
1 Girl Revolution is a social platform and podcast that highlights the stories of everyday women who are changing the world through their lives.
For more information on the “Justice on Trial” Film Festival, please visit the Festival website.
For more on Susan Burton, to invite her to speak, and/or to order her book, please visit Susan’s website.