2020 has been a difficult year for all of us. We’ve lost hundreds of thousands of lives to Covid-19, people lost their loved ones, lost their jobs, businesses have struggled to survive, and others have been forced to close. As this difficult year comes to a close, there is still so much uncertainty, pain, and so many who are struggling. And as we enter the winter months, so many are worried about their health, their mental health, and what is to come for us and our world.
People all across the country are still living in fear, struggling to pay their bills, feed their families, suffering from addiction, depression, loneliness, mental health struggles, and so much more. We’re all living in uncertain and difficult times and we are worried about what lies ahead for our lives, our health, our families, our friends, our businesses, and our world. But, there is also so much we can do to bring hope to the world, to bring others hope, encourage others, and support those around us – and those who are often forgotten in our world. We can be the heroes that our world needs. And there are so many heroes among us. So, watch out for the heroes.
Mister Rogers once famously said, “When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, “Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.”
We have an opportunity everyday to be the helpers and to be the heroes. We were made for a purpose and we have the power to change the world through our lives.
Here at 1 Girl Revolution, we have been honored to get to know so many incredible people around the country who are making a difference in the world, and through them – we have gotten to know about so many others who are doing the same. We can all do our part, and it’s oftentimes the small things that can make the biggest difference. So, we decided to put together a list of ways that YOU can help others and make a difference in the world during this difficult time and everyday – and most of the things we suggest, you can do from the comfort of you own home!
Here are 15 Things you can do to GIVE BACK and help others during this difficult time:
- CHECK-IN WITH YOUR FRIENDS AND FAMILY. Make sure that everyone is doing ok and that they have everything they need.
- If you know someone with addiction or mental health struggles, make sure you’re supporting them in any way you can. Make sure they know that they’re not alone and that you’re there for them if they need anything.
- DO RANDOM ACTS OF KINDNESS. Buy coffee for a stranger. Help a someone load their groceries into their car. Rake your neighbors leaves or mow their lawn. Pay a stranger a compliment. Every little thing you do can have the power to
- DONATE BLOOD. Every two seconds someone is in need of blood. One blood donation can save up to three lives. Donate blood and if you don’t know how/where – please visit the Red Cross website.
- DONATE FOOD AND SUPPLIES. There are so many organizations, individuals, and families that are in need of food, supplies, household goods, and other items. As we enter the fourth quarter and the holiday season in 2020, so many are struggling and are in dire need of support. As you do your Christmas and holiday shopping, please consider ordering more items and donating them – food, clothes, toys, gifts, other goods and items. Call you local shelter or a local organization and see what they need and/or if there is a family you can adopt for the holidays.
- BUY LOCAL. SUPPORT LOCAL RESTAURANTS AND BUSINESSES. Concern for public safety has caused many restaurants and stores to close and/or limit their hours and/or capacity, while others have been able to remain open for carryout, online, and delivery orders – but, they have all taken a massive hit during this time. Many employees have been laid off or their hours have been cut, and local businesses and employers are struggling to survive and uncertain about the future. We can all do our part to support our local restaurants and businesses!
- Order carryout or delivery from local restaurants or buy giftcards for future use.
- Buy giftcards from local businesses – boutiques, hair salons, nail salons, therapists, other stores, etc.
- Buy online, if a local store or business owner has an online shop.
- Buy giftcards and donate them or give them to family, friends, neighbors, or others who may be going through a difficult time right now.
- Also – if you know anyone who is out of work or who may be struggling to make ends meet, check in with them and/or surprise them by dropping off a meal or groceries or a giftcard.
- TIP WELL. Service workers who have been able to keep their jobs during this time have taken a major hit financially because of cut hours and lower capacity within restaurants. So, when you eat out, tip well. And if you order carryout or delivery or have groceries delivered – tip well. Or better yet, tip more than usual.
- GIVE GIFTCARDS TO A FAMILY OR FRIENDS GOING THROUGH A DIFFICULT TIME, HEALTH CARE WORKERS, ESSENTIAL WORKERS, THOSE EXPERIENCING HOMELESSNESS, AND MORE. You never know how much a gift card to a grocery store, restaurant, or other store can help someone going through a difficult time.
- Buy a few gift cards to local restaurants and stores and have them on hand for anytime that you might encounter someone in need.
- Giftcards to grocery stores, local restaurants, coffeeshops, and more – will not only help the person you give them to, but will also help sustain local businesses.
- Buy giftcards and keep them on hand – and give them away!
- MAKE PACKS OF ESSENTIAL ITEMS AND GIVE THEM OUT TO THOSE EXPERIENCING HOMELESSNESS IN YOUR CITY AND/OR DELIVER THEM TO A LOCAL SHELTER. While many of us are still sheltering in place and/or home much more often, use this time to do something for others in need. This is also a great project for kids at home and will help teach them about helping others.
- Buy bags and essential items that you can make little backs to give away to those in need.
- Some items to include: a bottle of water, nutrition bars, wash cloths, bar soap, hand sanitizer, fresh fruit or fruit bars, a gift card or a couple of dollars, and any other items you can think of.
- Keep these packs in your car and pass them out to homeless people you encounter or donate to a homeless shelter and they can distribute them.
- This is a great activity for kids and families who are at home right now.
- BUY GROCERIES FOR THE ELDERLY AND THOSE AT HIGH-RISK. As we know, the elderly and those with weakened immune systems are at higher risk for Covid-19, so if you can – consider buying groceries or have them delivered, run errands, pick up their prescription(s) from the pharmacy, or anything else that may be helpful to them. Check in with elderly family members, friends, neighbors, and others to see if there is anything you can do to help them.
- COMMUNICATE WITH THE ELDERLY ON A DAILY BASIS. ALSO – CHECK-IN WITH THOSE WHO MIGHT BE LONELY. While the elderly and those with compromised immune systems are the most susceptible to Covid-19, many of them are forgotten, lonely, and scared. Check-in with your family, friends, and others who may be feeling isolated and scared during this time – especially the elderly. Call your elderly family, friends, and neighbors as often as you can to check in.
- WRITE LETTERS TO FAMILY, FRIENDS, NEIGHBORS, THE ELDERLY, AND SEND LITTLE NOTES TO YOUR LOCAL SENIOR LIVING COMMUNITY. We have more time on our hands, why not consider writing little notes of love and support to people you know. And if you have children, have them draw pictures and send those along as well. You could really brighten someone’s day.
- Call your local retirement community and ask if there’s anything that they need that you can donate (treats, snacks, fun surprises, etc.) and/or where to send a letter or postcard.
- TEXT OR CALL A FRIEND OR FAMILY MEMBER EVERY DAY. Make a list of people you want to check in with and make a commitment to text or call at least one person everyday. Don’t underestimate the power of a call or text message to someone. We need community more than ever.
- FOSTER OR ADOPT AN ANIMAL. If you are able, please consider fostering or adopting an animal from a local animal shelter or animal rescue organization. So many animals are in need of a safe place to live during this difficult time and animal rescue organizations need the support of local individuals who can help care for these animals in need.
- DONATE $$$ TO YOUR FAVORITE CHARITY, PLACE OF WORSHIP, OR OTHER ORGANIZATIONS YOU LOVE. Because so many are staying home more, organizations, places of worship, and nonprofits are in desperate need of support. When the world hits pause, these organizations continue their important work. Please donate to organizations that you care about.
- SHARE WHAT YOU CAN, WHEN YOU CAN. BE KIND. LOVE MORE. If you have extra food, toilet paper, water, or anything else essential – give what you can to someone you know or donate it. There are so many people who are in need of so much at this time, so remember to share what you can, be kind, and love more.
Throwback to March 2020, Kate Bryan hosted a special episode of the 1 Girl Revolution podcast that talked about the Covid-19 pandemic right after it hit and discussed these ways and more that you can make a difference during this time and she also highlighted some 1 Girl Revolution stories of women making a difference during this time.
The 1 Girl Revolution podcast is available on iTunes, Spotify, iHeartRadio, Stitcher, and wherever you find podcasts. Listen to episode 64 and other episodes to bring you hope and encourage you to change the world through your life. We can all make a difference!